?

Log in

Previous Entry | Next Entry

The satin kirtle is finished

Yesterday we had sewing meeting at my place and my friend Anna helped me even out the hem of my mint green kirtle. The satin had been stretching like crazy (cutting it was a nightmare) and finally we decided that the best we could do was that I put it on and she cut the fabric while I wore it - pinning it would have been useless, sincethe fabric would have moved in all directions when I took the kirtle off and put it on the table.

To stabilize it I used a cotton bias tape to hem it, like I had done around the neck line. While cotton bias tape certainly isn't period, using tape or strips of fabric to stabalize things is. It's all hand sewn anyway - I would have haed to sew this fabric on machine.

These are just quick photos, I put on a slightly supportive shift (that badly needs ironing, if you see lumps showing through the satin) and hubby took some quick photos. No headwear or anything, just shift and kirtle.

When I have forgotten how much I hated cutting the kirtle I will start on the surcoat from the same fabric. It may take a week or so ;)


Comments

( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
koshka_the_cat
Feb. 11th, 2017 03:10 am (UTC)
I love it! It's going to look fabulous with all the accessories.
frualeydis
Feb. 11th, 2017 08:49 am (UTC)
Thank you, I think so too.

/Eva
starlightmasque
Feb. 13th, 2017 05:26 am (UTC)
ooooooooooo nice!
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )